Keeping this one short and sweet. I didn’t leave a lot of time for meal prepping this weekend, but I always have a back-up plan. This is where I rely on foods that are quick to cook or just need to be microwaved for a quick meal. Surprisingly, I always get told this particular meal smells good, so maybe you’ll like it too.
I was so behind this week that I grabbed my ingredients from Giant Eagle on my way to work!
What I Use:
- Cooked Jasmine Rice (either in the rice cooker, or buy a bag of microwaveable rice)
- Birds Eye Broccoli Stir Fry, half the bag
- Cooked chicken (I try to cook up a pound of chicken thighs before running to work most days, but if I can’t I grab the $5 grilled chicken breasts from the prepared food section of Giant Eagle)
- Soy Sauce to taste
- Cashew pieces to taste, for a crunchy topping
What I Do:
- If using microwaveable rice, start with that and follow the directions. If you’re lucky to have a rice cooker like me, get that going early so it’s hot and ready when you’re hungry.
- Throw half the bag of veggies in a bowl and top with some salt, microwave until cooked most of the way through.
- Cut up chicken and add to the bowl of veggies. Add soy sauce to taste. Microwave until it’s all hot.
- Throw on top of your prepared rice.
- Top with cashews.
- Eat and enjoy (even though you’re in a rush).
When I think ahead, I like to keep other sauces around to mix this meal up (Thai curry is REALLY good, but even having some sriracha and PB2 around to make a quick peanut sauce is a tasty change). It’s healthy, easy, and keeps me full through work, training, and teaching. And as a side note, it took every ounce of my self-control to take a picture of this bowl and not just scarf the whole thing down in 3 minutes. You’re welcome.